Friday, September 13, 2019

Mock Interview Reflection

     We recently completed a mock interview for class, which was good practice for what we will be doing in the next several months as we graduate and begin to look for jobs. Overall I think I did well in my interview but I definitely could have done better. I answered the questions sufficiently but sometimes did not phrase it as effectively as I would have liked.
     To prepare, I went over the resources provided to us, which included articles about different interview questions and how to answer them as well as questions to ask the interviewer. I also went over how to answer some questions in my head. I could have prepared better by having more questions to ask prepared and by going through practice questions with someone beforehand.
     Something that I did not expect was how long it would take me to think through how I wanted to answer some of the questions! While it did take a moment, I did typically avoid fillers such as "like" and "um," which is something I have improved over time although I did still notice myself using a few fillers. In the future I will go over questions and answers out loud so I can be more intentional with my wording and to work on avoiding these fillers. I will also thoroughly research the company I am interviewing with so I am able to ask appropriate questions that are not able to be found online.
     One thing that I learned from this process is how important it is to prepare for an interview and be able to answer difficult questions. The interviewer I had said that it is a good idea to be prepared for questions that are illegal, such as asking if you plan to have children. That is something that I would not have previously considered but an issue that may be faced in future interviews. This mock interview was good preparation for what is to come as I begin to search for jobs in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment